About the Festival
Luci d’ Artista is a festival of lights that celebrates innovation and artistic expression. It is an enchanting event that families and friends will surely enjoy.
The dazzling festival features overhanging light installations that will delight your imagination and creativity. It also features geometric light displays and colorful LED light shows that will take your breath away.
An ideal event to create long-lasting memories, Luci d’ Artista is an open-air museum of impressive light art installations created by talented local and international artists. It is an awe-inspiring festival that transforms the city’s buildings and cobbled squares into canvases for video and projection mapping, transporting visitors to a realm of magic and possibilities.
Luci d’ Artista Festival Dates
Luci d’ Artista is an unmissable spectacle that usually takes place from 27th October 2022 to 8th January 2023
Within these dates, you can explore the fascinating light exhibitions as you take a stroll through the picturesque city.
Where It’s Located and How to Get There
The festival illuminates different parts of Turin, Italy, including Piazza Castello, Piazza Carignano and Galleria Subalpina.
The distance between the city center and Turin Airport (Aeroporto di Torino-Caselle) is approximately 16 kilometers (10 miles).
Getting from Turin Airport to the City Center:
- Taxi – Taxi are readily available at the airport. The journey to the city center takes approximately 30 minutes, depending on traffic conditions.
- Airport Shuttle – Turin Airport offers shuttle services that connect the airport to various points in the city, including Porta Nuova Railway Station. This is a convenient and cost-effective option.
- Public Transportation – You can take the SADEM bus, which provides regular service between the airport and the city center. The journey takes about 45 minutes and is an economical choice.
Getting Around Turin:
- Public Buses and Trams – Turin has an extensive network of buses and trams that cover the entire city. You can purchase tickets at newsstands or vending machines. A single ticket is generally valid for 90 minutes and can be used for both buses and trams.
- Metro – Turin’s metro system has two lines, Line 1 (the red line) and Line 2 (the orange line). The metro is a quick and convenient way to move around the city, especially during rush hours.
- Taxi – Taxis are readily available in Turin and can be flagged down on the street or found at designated taxi stands.
- Biking – Turin has a bike-sharing program called “TOBike,” which allows you to rent bicycles for short trips around the city. It’s a great way to explore Turin at your own pace.
- Walking – Turin’s city center is pedestrian-friendly, and many of its attractions are within walking distance of each other. Walking is a delightful way to soak in the city’s charm.
Reaching Turin by Train:
Turin is well-connected to other major cities in Italy and Europe by an extensive train network. Here are detailed guidelines on how to reach Turin by train from some key cities:
- Trains from Milan to Turin depart from Milano Centrale station.
- The journey takes approximately 1 to 1.5 hours, depending on the type of train you choose (high-speed or regional).
- Tickets can be purchased at the station or online through the official Italian railway website, Trenitalia.
- Trains from Rome to Turin depart from Roma Termini station.
- The journey takes approximately 4 to 5.5 hours, depending on the type of train.
- Tickets can be purchased at the station or online through Trenitalia.
- Trains from Florence to Turin depart from Firenze Santa Maria Novella station.
- The journey takes approximately 3.5 to 4.5 hours, depending on the type of train.
- Tickets can be purchased at the station or online through Trenitalia.
From Paris (France):
- The high-speed train, TGV, connects Paris Gare de Lyon to Turin Porta Susa station.
- The journey takes approximately 5 hours.
- Tickets can be purchased through the official French railway website, SNCF, or the Italian website, Trenitalia.
Remember to visit the respective train company’s website for up-to-date information on train tickets and schedules.
Luci d’ Artista illuminates the Italian city from 6:00 PM to midnight, inviting everyone from all walks of life to enjoy the fascinating creations based on the power of light.
Cost to Visit Luci d’ Artista
Most of the impressive installations are open to the public. Visitors, however, have the option to enjoy the perks and special offers of a guided tour.
For more information on guided tours and pricing, visit the festival’s official website.
Weather and What to Wear
Turin experiences chilly weather during the festival dates, with temperatures ranging from 2 to 10 degrees Celsius. To enjoy the festival comfortably, you can dress warmly in layers, including a cozy coat, scarf, and gloves.
Where to Sleep – Hotels Nearby
Turin offers an option of accommodations to choose from after enjoying the festival of lights:
Turin Palace Hotel
Turin Palace Hotel is a historic hotel known for its elegance and sophistication. Offering a picturesque view of the charming city, Turin Palace Hotel features soundproof rooms with flat screen TV, coffeemaker, and free Wi-Fi. They also feature amenities such as a bar, a hot tub, and a free fitness center. After basking in the illumination of the light festival, staying in Turin Palace Hotel is a perfect choice.
Holiday Inn Turin
Holiday Inn Turin is a modern hotel in the heart of the city. It is conveniently near attractions such as the Egyptian Museum and the Royal Palace, making it an ideal place for those who enjoy sightseeing. Aside from that, the hotel features amenities, such as a fitness center and free high-speed internet. They also offer cozy, air-conditioned rooms with minibars and flat screen TVs.
Hotel Torino Porta Susa
Hotel Torino Porta Susa is a short walk from Piazza Castello, which is one of the festival’s main locations. Located in the heart of the city, the hotel offers a wide range of amenities, including a 24-hour front desk and free high-speed internet service. The hotel features air-conditioned and soundproof rooms ideal for relaxation and sleep.
What to Eat
Aside from hosting the Lights Festival, Turin also features some of the best dining spots in the country:
Del Cambio is a restaurant located in Piazza Carignano, which is another festival location. They serve international cuisine and offer dishes, such as Insalata Piemontese, Vitello Tonnato, and Raviolo Aperto di Patate. They also serve desserts such as Gelato al Pistacchio. A visit to Del Cambio can perfectly complement your festival experience.
Porto di Savona
Porto di Savona is an old restaurant in Turin, known for their Piedmontese cuisine. A classic restaurant that features impressive furniture and decorations, Porto di Savona offers favorites such as Fritto Misto and Bagna Cauda. Come visit Porto di Savona for an unforgettable culinary experience.
Piola da Celso
Piola da Celso is a tavern-style restaurant known for their delectable dishes and wines. Located in Via Verzuolo, the restaurant serves dishes such as Agnolotti and Acciughe Al Verde. After exploring the city lights of Luci d’ Artista, a visit to Piola da Celso is highly recommended.
More Things To Do In The Area
Turin is home to some of the best attractions in Italy:
The Mole Antonelliana is one of Turin’s most iconic landmarks. It is a towering structure famous for its distinctive dome, which dominates the Turin skyline. While in the area, you can explore its museum of cinematic history and enjoy the museum’s treasure trove of exhibits dedicated to the evolution of cinema. An elevator to the top offers a panoramic view of the city and the surrounding Alps.
The Egyptian Museum
Turin is home to one of the most renowned Egyptian museums outside of Egypt. The museum itself features an extraordinary collection of artifacts and treasures from Ancient Egypt. While inside the museum, you can explore its well-lit halls and immerse yourself in Ancient Egyptian culture and history. You can also marvel at hieroglyphics and well-preserved sarcophagi.
For an experience of the city’s timeless charm, visit Quadrilatero Romano, Turin’s historic Roman quarter. This mesmerizing neighborhood is a delightful labyrinth of cobbled streets, vibrant buildings, and bustling piazzas. Take a leisure walk through the streets and be captivated by street lamps and fairy lights adorning cafes and shops. Venturing into the Quadrilatero Romano adds a romantic touch to your entire festival experience.
A Final Sparkle: Wrapping Up Your Unforgettable Experience at Luci d’ Artista
Luci d’ Artista is more than just a festival of lights, it is a celebration of creative expression and innovation, adorning the charming city of Turin with breathtaking light exhibits and installations.
With ample places and attractions to choose from, Luci d’ Artista is an event that will sparkle in your heart for many years to come.
Are there fairy lights at the festival?
Yes, fairy lights adorn many of the installations, adding a touch of magic to the atmosphere.
Is it a Christmas light show?
While it’s not exclusively a Christmas event, the festival captures the spirit of the season with its dazzling displays.
Is Luci d’Artista suitable for children?
Absolutely! Luci d’Artista is a family-friendly event, and children of all ages can enjoy the dazzling light displays and festive atmosphere.
Are there guided tours available during the festival?
Yes, many tour operators offer guided tours of Luci d’Artista. These tours provide insights into the art and history behind the light installations, enhancing your overall festival experience. Check with the festival’s official website or local tour companies for availability.
Can I take photos and videos during the festival?
Yes, photography is allowed. Feel free to take pictures of stunning installations and light displays.
Is there wheelchair accessibility at the festival?
Luci d’Artista aims to be inclusive, and many of the festival’s locations are wheelchair accessible. Ramps, designated paths, and accessible facilities are often available. It’s a good idea to check with the festival organizers for specific accessibility details.
Is there a recommended route to see all the installations?
Luci d’Artista installations are spread across various parts of Turin. While there’s no strict route, you can plan your visit based on your interests and the locations of the installations you most want to see. Consider using the festival’s official map as a guide.
Are pets allowed at the festival?
Pets are generally allowed, but it’s advisable to check with the specific festival locations and any relevant guidelines regarding pets. Keep in mind that the festival can be crowded, so ensure your pet is comfortable in such an environment and follows any leash or pet etiquette rules.
How can I stay updated on festival information such as dates and times?
To stay updated on information, visit the festival’s official website.