This kind of festival has significantly evolved in many years, and with an expansion of the 8-kilometer long illumination route just to accommodate the new displays. Aside from those new lights, some innovative light shows and new events have been supplemented to the festival lights. The festival has more than 2 million lights, and its illumination route directly travels up to the Niagara Parks and surrounding tourist areas. The pathways are best seen by riding a car; however, there are numerous spots that are ideal for taking selfies as well.
If you wish to visit Ontario for the Niagara Fall Festivals of Lights, you can also visit some beautiful places like the Zimmerman Fountain, Skylon Tower, Canadian-themed displays, trees covered with thousands of sparkling lights at the Dufferin Islands, and the light shows on the Toronto Power Generating Station. Even though the events and the festival itself are free, your donations are highly appreciated, wherein the proceeds will only be used for displays and lights enhancement.
Festival Dates (2023-24)
The breathtaking Niagra Falls Festival of Lights, commonly known as Winter Festival of Lights, will take place from November 18, 2023 to January 7, 2024.
How to Get there to Niagara Falls Festival of Lights
There are so many ways on how you can get there to Niagara Falls Festivals of Lights. However, it is much advisable to drive along Niagara Parkway in your vehicle so that you can enjoy the Winter Festival of Lights.
Niagara Falls becomes lively with the seasonal fireworks and flamboyant illuminations display every year. Starting November 14, there will be a night illumination display that will be seen in different colors. This is inspired by Nature, including aurora borealis, sunrise, sunset, and rainbow. There will be a 5-minute lighting display every three times in half an hour. This will start at 7:30pm every night, with complementary displays at 8:30pm, 9:30pm, 10:30pm and 11:30pm. The Canadian and American Horseshoe Falls will be well-lit.
Other fantastic lights festivals in Canada are:
Expenses of the Festival Niagara falls lights
Generally, the actual cost that you may incur if you wish to visit the Niagara Falls Lights would always depend on your location from this place. The farther you are from this place, the higher it cost because you need to travel and pay for your travel expenses. However, if you’re just a neighboring place from Toronto, then you don’t need to worry about too many expenses.
All you need to think about is extra money for your food and accommodation, especially if you would like to stay in Toronto for how many days for the Festival of Lights. Since Niagara Falls is a public place or location, there’s no need to pay for the entrance fee, but it is highly encouraged to at least give a small amount for donations, which will be used for the improvement of the displays and lightings.
What to Expect?
There are so many things that you can do once you visit this kind of festival. Aside from the beauty of the sparkling lights, you may also see some attractive performances in the city. And since it is an event that is purely happened during winter, it is expected that the weather is somewhat colder than the previous days.
That’s why it is advisable to wear thick clothes like leather jackets, scarves, and others to make you comfortable during your holiday tour.
Visiting Niagara Falls for the Festival of Lights is a perfect escape from your usual life. It is because you will feel more relaxed once you see the beautiful places of Niagara Falls. The spectacular view of the falls and their surroundings would surely provide an extraordinary impact to you.
Best Hotels Near the Niagara Falls
It is highly recommended to at least stay for how many days to experience the beauty and the happiness in this place. It is just like you are having a holiday tour with your family; so, you can make out of your adventure. Just in case you are totally decided to visit Toronto for the festival, then always look for the best hotel accommodations for you and for your family. Here are the top-rated hotels which you may consider for good:
Sheraton Niagara Falls – This hotel is just adjacent to Niagara Falls. This is directly linked to Seneca Niagara Casino and Resort through an enclosed walkway. It has remarkable features that would be good to all visitors and tourists. These features include a business center, 24-hour center for fitness, and event or meeting facilities in order to address your needs.
It also offers various dining options like Starbucks Café, The Corner Deli, Rainforest Café, and TGI Fridays. All these amenities and facilities are designed to all visitors for them to be comfortable during their stay.
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls
This hotel is situated in the center of downtown Niagara Fall, New York. This is just a few minutes’ walking from the magnificent Niagara Falls. If you consider this hotel as your accommodation place during your stay for your holiday season, then you will surely be glad about its services. It has thoughtful amenities and comfortable guestrooms that are suitable for all visitors.
The Pointe Niagara Falls – This hotel can be found at the main entrance of Niagara Falls State Park, which is only adjacent to Niagara Falls. This is a perfect for your family since you don’t need to travel far just to visit Niagara Falls for the festival.
It has several attractions nearby, such as Hard Rock Café, Aquarium of Niagara, Rainbow Bridge, and the Cave of Wind Tours. By just a few minutes’ walk from this hotel, you can also visit one of the oldest tourist spots in America, the Maid of the Mist.
These three hotels are perfect places where you can stay for the Festival of Lights. You can visit some online sites and check their offers during the holiday season.
What to eat?
Aside from these beautiful places, there are the best places where you can find delicious foods. Some of these are the following:
Mai Thai Cuisine
This restaurant is just adjacent to Niagara Falls. This is considered as one of the best places nearby because there are different types of the menu which may be suitable for you. Almost all kinds of foods are available here for dine-in or take-out orders. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So, they are always available to satisfy your cravings.
Tide & Vine
This is also known as Oyster House. It is situated in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. If you consider this hotel, then you will surely enjoy a wide variety of seafood menus and different contemporary cuisines anytime.
Their different types of menu allow you to taste something unusual. They offer different kinds of appetizers, salads & soups, desserts, and many more. This place is a perfect choice for you if you want to taste some palatable dishes from expert chefs.
These things, including hotel accommodations, places to eat, and anything about Niagara Falls Festival of Lights, could serve as your guide if you wish to visit the place during the winter holiday season. You will surely enjoy your vacation and your holiday trip together with your family as you experience the beauty of the whole place.
More Things To Do In The Area
- Algonquin Provincial Park
- Location: Whitney, Ontario
- Description: One of the oldest provincial parks in Canada, Algonquin spans a vast area of over 7,600 square kilometers. It’s a paradise for nature lovers, offering opportunities for canoeing, hiking, bird-watching, and wildlife spotting. The park is especially renowned for its fall foliage, making it a hotspot during the autumn months.
- Activities: Canoeing, hiking, wildlife viewing, camping, and fishing.
- Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Description: As Canada’s largest museum, ROM is dedicated to world culture and natural history. The museum’s architecture is itself a piece of art, featuring a blend of historic and modern design. Inside, visitors can explore a vast collection of exhibits, ranging from ancient artifacts to dinosaur fossils and cultural displays.
- Activities: Exploring exhibits, attending workshops, lectures, and special events.
- Thousand Islands
- Location: St. Lawrence River, between Ontario and New York
- Description: This picturesque archipelago consists of 1,864 islands and offers a perfect blend of history, natural beauty, and outdoor activities. The region has everything from opulent mansions, like Boldt Castle, to peaceful, undeveloped isles. Boat tours are a popular way to explore the region.
- Activities: Boat tours, kayaking, fishing, exploring Boldt Castle and Singer Castle, and diving shipwrecks.
- Where can we park during the festival?
- Parking is available in various lots and on-street spots around the Niagara Falls area. Some areas might require a parking fee, so it’s always a good idea to bring some change or check for electronic payment options.
- Is smoking allowed at the festival?
- While the festival itself is outdoors and doesn’t have specific smoking restrictions, please be respectful of other visitors and refrain from smoking in crowded areas. Also, be aware of any designated non-smoking zones in public spaces around Niagara Falls.
- Can we bring our pets to the festival?
- Yes, pets are generally allowed in outdoor public spaces; however, they must be on a leash at all times. Please be mindful of the cold weather conditions and ensure your pets are comfortable and safe.
- What’s the best time to visit the festival for optimal lighting views?
- The lights are usually switched on around dusk and remain on into the late evening. To experience the full beauty of the displays, plan to visit after sunset.
- Is there an entrance fee for the festival?
- The Niagara Falls Winter Festival of Lights is free to attend. However, donations are appreciated to help continue this tradition.
- Are there any special events or performances during the festival?
- Yes, the festival often features special events and live performances on select dates. It’s best to check the festival’s official website or local event listings for specific details.
- How long is the festival route, and is it walkable?
- The festival covers a several-kilometer-long route along the Niagara Parkway and surrounding areas. It’s entirely walkable, but make sure to wear warm clothes and comfortable shoes.
- Are there any food or drink stalls at the festival?
- While the festival itself is primarily a lights display, there are various restaurants, cafes, and snack stalls in the vicinity of Niagara Falls to satisfy your hunger or thirst.