About the Festival
SIGNAL Lights Festival Prague is a celebration of art and technology. It brings to life innovative video mapping artworks, electrifying light shows, and interactive light displays, transforming the capital into a futuristic realm of neon lights and wonder.
An event that sparks the wildest imagination, the SIGNAL Lights Festival takes you to a realm of possibilities–where you can immerse yourself in thought-provoking installations, unique artworks of lights and colors, and jaw-dropping projections that transform buildings into a canvas of magic.
SIGNAL Lights Festival Dates (2023)
The captivating Lights Festival will radiate across the Czech capital on October 12-15, 2023. Once again, the charms of Prague will harmonize with the unique artworks and ideas of talented artists across the world to give you a once-in-a-lifetime, unforgettable experience.
Featured Lighting Displays:
- Projection Mapping on historical buildings: Artists often use the facades of Prague’s iconic buildings as canvases to project intricate animations and stories.
- Interactive Installations: Some pieces invite viewers to engage directly, changing colors or patterns based on movement or other forms of interaction.
- Luminous Sculptures: These are standalone pieces, often abstract, that play with light, shadow, and form.
- LED Installations: Artists create scenes or patterns using energy-efficient LED lights.
- Laser Shows: These powerful light beams dance across the night sky or are aimed at specific targets to create mesmerizing patterns.
- Sound and Light Installations: Some displays synchronize light patterns with sound, offering a multi-sensory experience.
- Artistic Video Installations: Some artists use light projectors to showcase short films or looping videos that tell a story or evoke specific emotions.
- Environmental Light Installations: These often address environmental issues, leveraging the medium of light to raise awareness.
- Technological Displays: Some installations integrate cutting-edge technology, blending traditional art with modern tech.
- Thematic Walks: In certain years, the festival organizes themed routes, guiding visitors through a series of installations that share a common message or artistic approach.
Where It’s Located And How To Get There
The magic of SIGNAL Lights Festival takes place across various locations in Prague, such as Vinohrady, Vršovice, Charles Bridge, and Old Town Square, among others.
The distance between Václav Havel Airport Prague and the city center is about 17 kilometers (10.5 miles) by road. The journey from the airport to the city center takes approximately 30 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic conditions. You can reach the city center by taxis, airport shuttles, and public transportation.
Getting to Prague by Train
Prague is well-connected to other European cities through an extensive rail network. The following are guides on how to get to the Czech capital by train:
From Within The Czech Republic
- Check Domestic Train Routes – Cities like Plzeň, Brno, and Ostrava are well-connected to Prague. Check out the train routes and schedules from your departure city within the country.
- Purchase Tickets – You can buy train tickets from the railway station or online. Ticket machines are also available at most train stations for convenience.
- Train Types – Check out the various train types and determine what’s best for you. Options include express, intercity, and local trains.
- Check the Train Timetable – Make sure to check out the departure and arrival times. Czech trains are known for their punctuality.
- Arrival in Prague – Trains to Prague arrive at Praha hlavní nádraží, the capital’s main railway station which is conveniently located near the city center. From the train station, you can reach the city center by taxis or public transportations.
From Other European Cities
- Check Train Routes – Check out the most suitable train routes from your departure city. Cities like Budapest, Munich, Vienna, and Berlin have direct connections to Prague. Also, make sure to check train schedules from the respective railway company’s official website.
- Book Tickets – Buy your train tickets ahead of time. You can purchase tickets at the railway stations, online, or from authorized ticket sellers. Make sure to book your tickets in advance, especially during the peak travel season.
- Crossing Borders – If you’re traveling from another country, make sure to bring the necessary travel documents such as a valid passport or visa.
For more details on train schedules and ticket pricing, visit the respective train company’s official website.
If you liked SIGNAL Lights Festival Prague, you might want to check out these other spectacles as well:
The SIGNAL Lights Festival illuminates Prague with spectacular lights and displays from sunset to midnight. Ignite your senses with swirling lights dancing across walls and streets, and delight your imagination with a symphony of contemporary visual art and modern technology.
Cost to Visit Lights Festival SIGNAL Prague
SIGNAL Lights Festival is a free event, but the organizers offer VIP tickets for special perks and access such as the opportunity to enjoy the displays and installations an hour before the event opens to the public.
There are two types of tickets available for purchase online. The first one is the Signal Plus festival ticket, which costs $12.87 from August 15, $15.08 from September 6, and $17.30 from September 27. Signal Plus will be available at the venue for $19.52. Children below 6 years old and individuals with disabilities enjoy free admission.
The second type is the Signal VIP which costs $75 if you purchase today. At the venue, the VIP ticket will cost $88.31.
For more information on ticket pricing and purchasing, visit the festival’s official website.
Weather and What to Wear
Autumn in Prague can be cool, with temperatures ranging from 6 to 14 degrees Celsius. You can comfortably enjoy the dazzling festival by dressing in layers, which include a cozy sweater and a warm jacket. You can also wear comfortable walking shoes to help you stroll the streets conveniently.
Where to Sleep – Hotels Nearby
After immersing yourself in the extravagance of the festival, you can find the following accommodations in the ideal place to be:
Hotel Kings Court
Hotel Kings Court is a luxurious and modern hotel in the heart of Prague. It offers a range of amenities that include free high-speed internet service and breakfast. An ideal stay after exploring the city lights, the hotel features air-conditioned rooms with a minibar and flat screen TV.
Grand Hotel Bohemia
Grand Hotel Bohemia is a historic hotel that stands in the center of Prague’s Old Town. A 5-star hotel, it offers amenities such as airport transportation, free high-speed internet service, and breakfast. It also offers soundproof and air-conditioned rooms for you to wind down after having a grand time at the festival.
Hotel Three Storks
Located in Lesser Town, Hotel Three Storks is a 5-star hotel that offers accessibility to Prague’s iconic monuments and popular restaurants. A luxurious hotel, Hotel Three Storks offers amenities such as valet parking, free high-speed internet connection, and airport transportation. It also offers soundproof and air-conditioned rooms with flat screen TV and coffeemaker. And if you love sightseeing, the hotel offers a breathtaking view of the Wallenstein Palace and the Prague Castle.
What To Eat
Aside from hosting the SIGNAL Festival, the City of Prague also offers some of the country’s best dining spots:
Lokál Dlouhá is a trendy restaurant that offers Czech and European cuisines. Known for its industrial-style design, the restaurant serves dishes such as Pork Livers with Onion Sauce, Sour Lentils with Přeštická Sausage, and Chicken Broth with Pancake Noodles, among others. A visit to Lokál Dlouhá is a perfect complement to the entire festival experience.
The Mincovna Restaurant is popular among tourists and visitors of the capital. The restaurant serves Czech cuisine with a modern twist. They offer dishes such as Traditional Cabbage Soup with Spicy Sausage, Chanterelles and Oyster Mushrooms on Bell Pepper Sauce, Duck Croquettes, and Saddle of Fallow Deer, among others. After a magnificent experience in the SIGNAL Lights Festival, a visit to the Mincovna Restaurant will make your festival journey a memorable one.
La Dégustation Bohême Bourgeoise
La Dégustation Bohême Bourgeoise is an iconic restaurant that will satisfy your taste buds. Located in the heart of Prague, the restaurant is known for its gourmet Czech cuisine, serving dishes like Pork-Fat Poached Catfish, Creamy Cheese with Truffle, and Fallow Deer, among others. For those who enjoy fine dining, La Dégustation Bohême Bourgeoise is perfect for you.
More Things To Do In The Area
Prague is rich in culture and history, offering a diverse selection of great places to be and fun things to do:
A UNESCO World Heritage site, Prague Castle is one of the largest castle complexes in the world. A magnificent example of Gothic, Romanesque, and Baroque architecture, the castle includes the Old Royal Palace, St. Vitus Cathedral, and the picturesque Golden Lane. A visit to the Prague Castle is a perfect complement to your festival journey.
Charles Bridge is one of the capital’s most iconic landmarks. Spanning the Vltava River, the bridge is decorated with magnificent statues of angels, providing a breathtaking sight to behold. A favorite spot for street musicians and artists, the bridge is an ideal place for a leisure walk.
Petřin Hill is a perfect place for those who enjoy panoramic views and attractions. It is the location of the Petřin Observation Tower, which provides a 360-degree view of Prague. You can also have fun at the Maze and Mirror Labyrinth as well as explore the Rose Garden.
A Final Sparkle: Wrapping Up Your Unforgettable Experience in SIGNAL Lights Festival
SIGNAL Lights Festival Prague is a luminous celebration of artistry and innovation. It is a wonderland of captivating light installations and breathtaking displays of creativity. An ideal occasion to share with your loved ones and friends, the SIGNAL Lights Festival will sparkle in your heart forever.
Is the SIGNAL Lights Festival suitable for children?
Yes, the festival is a family-friendly event. Children are welcome to enjoy the magical light displays and projection mapping artworks.
Is photography allowed?
Taking pictures is allowed, but some installations may have restrictions, so make sure to inquire with festival staff.
Is the festival wheelchair accessible?
SIGNAL Lights Festival aims to be accessible to all visitors. Most festival locations are accessible by wheelchair. However, for specific details, it is best to inquire with festival staff.
Are there food and beverages available at the festival location?
Yes, there are food and beverage stalls throughout the various festival locations.
How can I stay updated with information about the SIGNAL Lights Festival, including dates and ticket prices?
To stay updated of important details and information about the festival, you can visit their official website.
Can I bring my pets to the SIGNAL Lights Festival?
While the SIGNAL Lights Festival takes place in public spaces throughout Prague where pets are generally allowed, it’s recommended to be cautious. The large crowds, bright lights, and noises might be stressful or overwhelming for some animals, especially during peak hours. If you do bring a pet, always keep them on a leash and be mindful of their comfort and safety.
What kind of weather can I expect during the SIGNAL Lights Festival, and how should I prepare?
The SIGNAL Lights Festival typically occurs in October, a month that can be cool and sometimes rainy in Prague. Visitors should dress warmly, wear comfortable walking shoes, and consider bringing an umbrella or raincoat just in case. Layering is advisable as it provides flexibility if the weather changes.
What types of lighting features and installations are typical at the SIGNAL Lights Festival?
The SIGNAL Lights Festival boasts a diverse range of light art, from projection mapping on historic buildings to standalone luminous sculptures, interactive installations, laser shows, and more. Both local and international artists contribute, ensuring a unique blend of styles and themes each year. For specific details about the current year’s installations, it’s best to consult the festival’s official program or website.